Transition to a new class or keystage within school:
- There are opportunities for all children to visit their new classroom and class teacher. Some children may require extra visits to familiarize themselves and ease any anxieties.
- Certain children may need a carefully thought out and individualized transition plan. This will involve working closely with parents/carers in order for the preparation to continue over the summer holidays e.g a book with pictures of the new classroom and members of staff working with the child.
- Detailed information sharing between teachers takes place during these important transition times.
Transition between Year 6 and Year 7
- Close liaison/discussion takes place between primary and secondary staff to enable a smooth transition for pupils with SEN.
- Transition day visits are arranged. The number of transition visits that are arranged will depend on the individual child.
- A child with an Education Health Care Plan in place will have a detailed transition plan. This will ensure that the most appropriate provision is in place. These transition plans will be formulated during a multi-agency meeting.
- In some cases, usually when an EHC is in place, a member of staff from school will accompany a child on their preliminary visit to their new school.
- All records are shared with the new school and passed on as soon as possible.